Please call our Inclement Weather Hotlines if you have any questions:
- Arlington Enjoy Recreation Classes (703) 228-4715 (listen for Enjoy classes which are right away!)
Your best bet is to call the hotline or check the county website; however the typical (but not always) make-up policy is as follows:
- Often if the recreation center's county/city schools are delayed, there are no a.m. recreation classes.
- Often if the recreation center's county/city schools are closed, there are no recreation classes.
- Such classes cancelled by the recreation center are automatically tacked on to and made-up at the end of the term. For example, if your class usually meets Saturdays and one is cancelled we meet the Saturday after class should have been completed.
- Classes cancelled by the instructor (rare, but we are moms!) are also tacked on to the end of the term, unless other arrangements are made by the instructor.
Arlington Department of Parks & Recreation Official Weather & Temperatures Policy Updated 1/7/16
In the event of snow and/or ice accumulation resulting in unsafe road, sidewalk and parking lot conditions, the Department of Parks and Recreation (herein referred to as DPR) will proceed as follows:
If the Arlington County government is closed
· All Departmental facilities are closed and all programs are cancelled.
If Arlington Public Schools are closed and the Arlington County government is open, either on time or with a delayed opening
· All Enjoy Arlington classes, 55+ classes, trips and nature center programs are cancelled.
If Arlington Public Schools have a delayed opening and Arlington County government is open (either on time or delayed opening)
· All Enjoy Arlington classes, 55+ classes, trips, nature center programs and sports league activities scheduled to start prior to 11:59 a.m. will be cancelled in all buildings.
· All Enjoy Arlington classes, 55+ classes, trips, nature center programs and sports league activities with scheduled start times of NOON or later will proceed as scheduled.
· All evening Enjoy Arlington classes, sports league activities and nature center programs will proceed as scheduled.
If Schools close early or cancel evening activities and Arlington County Government remains open
· All Enjoy Arlington classes, 55+ classes and nature center programs in all buildings are cancelled.
Weekends and other days when Arlington Public Schools are not in session
· For DPR programs in APS facilities, the decision to close facilities will be made by the Superintendent of Schools after a recommendation from the DPR and APS points of contact based on the best available information on current weather conditions, the forecast and snow removal efforts. The initial discussion will occur at approximately 5:30 a.m. with a decision announced by 6:00 a.m. If weather conditions or snow removal efforts are likely to change during the day, the decision to close may be for morning programs only. A subsequent decision about afternoon and evening programs (beginning after 1:00 p.m.) will be made by 11:00 a.m. As part of the decision regarding afternoon and evening activities, APS and DPR points of contact may agree to have a later call in the afternoon regarding evening events, if there is some likelihood of improved weather and or snow removal for the evening. This decision will be made and announced prior to 3:00 p.m.
· For programs and activities in County-owned facilities, the decision to close for all or part of the day will be made by DPR the point of contact in consultation with appropriate Division Chiefs or their designee based on current weather conditions, the forecast and snow removal efforts. The timeframes for making these decisions will be consistent with those for APS facilities.
· If there is substantial accumulation of snow or ice on Friday, the decision to cancel Saturday and or Sunday activities may be made on Friday if weather condition and forecast warrant.
Frigid Temperature Agreement
The intent of this frigid temperature agreement is to outline the understanding between Arlington Public Schools Facilities and Operations (herein referred to as APS) and the Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) regarding the use of APS standalone and joint-use facilities located at Carver, Drew, Gunston, Langston and Thomas Jefferson when APS has a delayed opening or full day cancellation without the presence of ice, snow or other precipitation that may affect road, sidewalk or parking lot conditions. It is understood that in absence of these aforementioned weather conditions/elements this agreement will supersede the DPR and APS Snow and Ice Inclement Weather Policy.
If Arlington Public Schools are closed due to frigid temperatures and Arlington County Government is open (either on time or delayed opening) DPR will proceed as follows:
· All Enjoy Arlington classes, 55+ classes, sports league activities and programs scheduled in APS standalone buildings are cancelled. (If you are in a recreation center you will have class)
If Arlington Public Schools have a delayed opening due to extreme frigid temperatures and Arlington County Government is open (either on time or delayed opening) DPR will proceed as follows:
· All Enjoy Arlington classes, 55+ classes, trips, nature center programs and sports leagues and instructional programs will proceed as scheduled.
Notifications to the Public
This information will be placed on the Arlington County Government Emergency Weather Page at http://emergency.arlingtonva.us/closings-delays-cancellations/
and sent to DPR and Community Center eNews lists as well as the emails maintained in RecTrac for classes and fitness memberships held at that time. Information will also be posted on Facebook and Twitter. The information should also be announced in each center by posting on doors, on Voicemail, and on the Inclement Weather Hotlines.
Inclement Weather Hotlines
Inclement weather hotline numbers will be updated regularly with the latest information. It will be the responsibility of each Division to update its recording. All DPR closing information will be included on the Sports and Recreation Hotline
Sports and Recreation Hotline (703) 228-4715